Monday, June 16, 2008

Truck 1, Pedestrian 0

I feel terrible about it, and it has effected me pretty harshly. I ran over a pedestrian Friday night. He was a young Latino gentleman who had just come out of a convenience store for more beer. He got to the sidewalk and darted into the roadway like a deer on a country back road. The only thing I could do was put my brakes to the floor and hold on. He hit the right front of my truck and landed across the right hand lane and on to the sidewalk.

At that point I was in shock and did not no what to do. Luckily a witness had the good sense to call 911, and tend to the dude I just hit. I saw him on the sidewalk bleeding and not moving. I started to hyperventilate and my heart was racing. I was no help. After about a minute the young man started to move. I heard the sirens of the fire trucks, ambulances and police cars in the distance.

I still could not believe what had just happened. And I thought I was going to pass out. The guy was getting more and more responsive. He wanted to get up but the guy who was helping him would not let him. The first responders got there, then EMS, then the police. It was like a bad dream.

I was not charged with anything. The officer told me he could tell he had been drinking, and that I did nothing wrong. I still felt horrible about the situation.

Contrary to what was said by my neighbor this morning on 93.3 The Planet’s Rise Guys Morning Show. I was not upset that I wouldn’t be able to file a claim on the guy to fix my truck. I think “Nine” just needed to hype it up for the show. Which is fine I understand. But I just want to make clear that is not the case. I’m just glad that guy was not killed or hurt very bad, the last report the police officer got from the hospital was that he would have to have a few stitches in his head but other than that he would be fine.

Well that was how my Friday the 13th ended, how was everyone else’s?

No comments: