Monday, April 23, 2007

Appoligy Accepted?

The question of if the state of South Carolina should follow the lead of other southern states, and issue an apology for slavery has come up in the past few days. First and foremost I had know idea that slavery only existed in the south. If we do apologize, will reverend Al except? Apology's do not seem to help. Just ask Don Imus.

I have never owned a slave. No one in my family has ever owned a slave. My ancestors never owned slaves. I was however assaulted by a black person when I was in high school. Should I make every black person accountable for this one person. According to this logic maybe so. Please send apology along with reparations check to my home address. My point is that an apology is just a ceremonial piece of paper. I attribute this to buying a crying child a piece of candy at the check out stand, sure it keeps him quiet for a little while but nothing was actually accomplished. South Carolina lets just go ahead and apologize so we can at least get to the car in peace, and we can deal with the next tantrum when we get home. Because you know it's coming.

No comments: