Monday, February 11, 2008

The Grammys

I did not watch the Grammys. I have had no interest since the Bee Gees lost their relevance. It does look like a mistake was made by the academy last night though. They awarded the album of the year gramophone to an actual musician, Herbie Hancock. Now mind you he did win for an album of Joni Mitchell’s music, but I wont hold that against him. He is still one of the best modern jazz musicians today. (Plus he did that awesome song Rocket back in the 80’s, Moog rules!)

This does mark a change though, as in the past few decades the Grammy’s have been more about fashion, and record sales than about musicianship and talent.

I guess every now and then the academy has to throw a bone to someone talented instead of just fallating the Maroon 5’s, Usher’s, John Mayer’s and whatever Emo band is the flavor of the day.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I watched a part of it. I was really surprised that Herbie Hancock won. I'm not a fan, I respect him. I'm sure he's good at what he does but the little bit I've heard just didn't do it for me.

The highlight of the night for me was seeing Amy Winehouse's reaction to winning after her performance. The performance was, well odd. She looked so uncomfortable but her reaction was awesome!

Anonymous said...

Yea, I saw it on you tube. Crack can make you do strange things. And from what I hear, they tried to make her go to rehab.....but she said no, no, no.